Sunday 20 January 2013

Brass monkeys ...

This week saw the arrival of a cold snap, a really cold snap. 
With each passing day the temperature has turned progressively colder. Wednesday saw our surrounding countryside look like this...




Very frosty, very pretty but very cold.

By Friday it looked like this ...



Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.
If the weather forecast is to be believed, I'm not sure we've seen the last of the white stuff yet?

~ ~ ~

Snow Flakes

Out of the bosom of the Air,
Out of the cloud-folds of her garments shaken,
Over the woodlands brown and bare,
Over the harvest-fields forsaken,
Silent, and soft, and slow
Descends the snow.
 
By Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
1807–1882 Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
 
~ ~ ~

We're starting to plan the re-decoration of our living room.
 Oh help ... this fills me with dread! 
We've ruled out wallpaper and are going down the paint route. Choosing paint colours is one of my least favourite tasks ~ like ever. The whole process leaves me confused. We currently have an array of different tester colours all over our wall, ranging from deep plum and grey to light green, pink and cream. Sadly, all are not right leaving me more confused and despondent than ever.
I would love nothing more than the paint fairies to come visit, have a fab suggestion and skip off leaving me happy. If you see those lil fairy scamps please send them my way!!!

~ ~ ~

This weeks cheeky buys ...

The cheapest find this week was this lovely 1960's child's mug. It's soooo cute and (if I can bear to part with it) I'm intending to fill it with Easter goodies then give to the Easter Bunny ready to pass on to a special lil family member.
 
Still a bargain, but sadly not as cheap as 50p, these two lovely black and white etchings of Oxford were an auction purchase.



They had been listed several months ago and back then it was love at first sight. I intended to bid on them but sadly, when bidding started at £30.00 and ended in the £60.00's plus commission my paddle was a non-starter. 
 
Imagine how happy I was to see them back again. I had that "back off y'all, they're mine" stance when their lot number came up and I bid with an scowl. Scowls are obviously the way forward as I was the highest bidder ~ yay. My cut off point was £30.00 and I got them for £23.60 inc commission. January sale rooms are highly recommended, my friend got a mahogany Edwardian chair for £5.00 and a walnut 1960's sewing box complete with red satin lid liner and full to the brim of beautiful vintage contents for £20.00 ~ total and utter bargains. My lovely pictures have been drawn by someone called M Verdier and one has been named and signed in pencil by the artist. I'm not sure who he is or if my pictures are worth more the £23.60 but quite frankly I don't care ~ these are keepers.
 
~ ~ ~

My favourite photo from this week is ...


I reason I love it so much?
It's because its so soft and pretty with a retro feel. 
It evokes memories of the photos my lovely Gramp used to take back in the 70's
x

~ ~ ~

Until next Sunday, bye y'all xx




No comments:

Post a Comment