Wednesday 3 October 2012

Treading water is more apt than afloat ...


Sadly, our lil unit hasn’t been taking as many sales as we’d like/need to keep our dream a float. Just about treading water is more apt than afloat. Now buoyant is where we’d love to be.
Lisa and I have always aimed to give this venture 6 months, we’re three months down and with a month’s notice required, we could be looking at 2 months remaining to make our venture work.
 
We both really want this to be a success and, we are completely aware it’ll never make us rich or give us a reason to give up the day job but, it is the perfect set up for us to buy/make lovely things to our hearts contents and then sell them on and start the whole process again. It’s what we do and what we love doing, spending our time trawling car boot sales and auctions in search of the next unique, pretty, vintage thing that is just ripe for renovation or upcycling into something else altogether. If it’s what we do and have been doing for years why oh why can’t we make a successful sales area out of our wares?
After spending this week asking people to visit and report back to me with their honest opinion of my stock I think I’m starting to get some understanding as to why I'm not selling to my full potential. The answer being, I am only buying what I like and not purchasing with a business head and selecting for the masses. Basically, if you share my taste then there’s a vast array of loveliness for your delights in our unit but, and as I suspect is the case, anyone else with any other taste (which is more than likely) will not find a single jot to buy.
 
Grrrr … this means stocking the unit has now become a different task. No longer is it wise to buy what I like, I should now start buying what I think others will like:
Do I really wanna buy stuff I don’t like?
How on earth am I gonna guess the taste of others without making costly mistakes?
My head is buzzing with a million thoughts, all of which I need to lay down into a solid plan to make the last couple of months trading profitable, successful and also enjoyable.
This is an insight into my mind:
yeh but ...
 
yeh but ...
yeh but ...
yeh but ...
 
Ah, do you know what ...