Thursday 28 June 2012

A unexpected day at home ...

I had an expected day at home yesterday as my daughter was sent home from school poorly so I was house bound.  I decided to take a look at a couple of recent purchases I've made that are waiting to be washed, polished and spruced up ready to go in our unit.

This retro glass bowl below really catches the light so I thought candle light should really make it twinkle.

This old wooden candle stick is sadly an interiors 'out cast' due to being 'brown'. 

I had to battle with my conscience over this. I actually love old wood and think it's a crime to paint over the grain and stunning colours some turn with age. However, I also know some brown things are destined for land fill if left unsold/unwanted.
I relented and painted this old beaut and then 'distressed' it, bonkers I know making an old thing look new to resemble old? But I know this will be much more appealing to the masses than the 'natural but brown' look.  I do feel a tad sad though covering it in layers of paint so I used a water based paint with wax over the top in the hope that one day brown will be back in Vogue and this little candle stick will come out as being 'brown' and live a happy and fulfilled brown life! ;)












2 comments:

  1. I really like what you've done with the candle stick Louise.
    And thank you so much for the postcard really cheered me up! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hannah. Your very welcome to the postcard, I saw it and thought of you - glad it cheered you up X

    ReplyDelete